13 November 2007

What two futures combine to become half?

It's happened again.
Two things really.
I woke up for my 8 am shift when my boss called me at 9:30am.
And I've gotten sucked into reading food blogs again.
I usually keep my kitchen life pretty basic. My soup (vegetable broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, maybe onion or garlic) or maybe a coarse pesto (basil or parsley, olive oil, parmesan, salt, pepper, some nuts), and bien sûr my pretty little sandwiches.
I'm in the west. An isolated west. A kind of isolated suburbanite college town west. I have limited resources. And looking at pictures and reading about other people's adventures in finding quince trees and then making quince caramels is kind of a beautiful experience for me. The little dashboard on my Firefox window keeps growing. Now it's not just an exalted spot for Chocolate & Zucchini, I've got Chez Pim and The Amateur Gourmet on my watch list.
This isn't the best thing I could be doing with my time. You see, I live in a small apartment leaving one room to be my bedroom, my office (...we university students have offices....maybe I should stop reading blogs of professional "amateur" chefs that have offices....), my vanity area, and also my set for Super 8mm films. The 8mm films tipped the balance. My room has been torn apart for the last week in an attempt to make a film about a mécanicien français, my little loner French mechanic that I've been writing about for a few years. He's really so far just a collection of post-it notes and napkins I've rubber-cemented into the little notebooks I always carry around with me.
And the movie making hasn't happened yet. Last week the camera wasn't working, this week I've been busy catching up on my 19th Century French history and Victor Hugo. And, oui, watching The Hills. I've written a haiku about this television show selection of mine:
Oh MTV
Reality
Shine Down on me

Which isn't even a proper haiku I believe.

I think I must partly stay at the grill because my Boss just laughs at me when I don't wake up for work. My Boss who's laughing won't fire me. I don't know why this happens. Well, really, maybe if I actually got enough sleep. Peut-être. But I've never gone a long enough period with enough sleep to know enough if I would always wake up with enough time to get to places. So that's really just an unfounded hypothesis that some people have.
And I'm not a science major, mes lecteurs, I'm not qualified to use the scientific method.

I'm dreaming that next week with the oncoming Thanksgiving vacation I will finally be able to make Pain Ordinaire and hummus.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky. My boss is such a beyotch. She is always making me watch her two kids....like that is actually part of the job. Ughhhhh. I mean when i signed up for this I thought it was going to be all fashion parties and models, not diapers and snot. Whatev.

    ReplyDelete