21 January 2008

a million better things to do then what you tell me to do with the threat of a fine. there are names for people like you. a poem in four parts.

You mandate
that I clean
this
abode.

It's a bit sorry sad student-
like
our pitiful pockets
spilled out
to form that table
where we sit on the floor
and eat
our dinners.

the venetian blinds
are dust mites
bunnied out and filtering
the ski weather.

the oven
sits
a bit tinier than normal
and sits
and sits
worse than the smell in your pits.

I hate your mandate.
and I'm the clean one.

3 comments:

  1. One of my apt.'s had strict, and I mean strict cleaning checks which were naturally hardly ever passed because the place was 50 yrs old. We kept telling them it wasn't us...it was just old and gross. The next year someone told me mushrooms popped up through the kitchen floor.

    So much for cleaning checks......bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate cleaning checks SO much! I usually end up just caking on the appreciativeness and adoration while the cleaning check people are there just so they won't come back "Oh ya, I'll for sure I'll get that. I'm so super sorry that I forgot to move the fridge and clean under it. I love living here. You're such a nice checker. Thanks so much. You're super awesome."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm supremely grateful we can all feel anti-institution together. We passed very easily, but then, some of us are just talented like that.

    And Rich, you're a shmooz, but I'm going to keep those techniques in mind.

    ReplyDelete