05 March 2008

Month of Five Years

I'm taking a timeout to say, I've been trying to open up the airwaves to artists other than Led Zeppelin, everyone deserves their time, n'est-ce pas? I've been trying great people: Janis Joplin, Neil Young, The Kinks, The Shins, The Smiths, Wolfmother, Whitestripes, David Bowie, The Sex Pistols, The Velvet Underground, I even sang about umbrellas with Rihanna. Oh and in honor of Emo Week I tried to listen to Taking Back Sunday, Secondhand Serenade etc etc...
Everyone is falling flat.
I'd think, that's a great soulful, scratchy voice, Janis, I wish I could sound like you. Dear Kinks, I will drink with you in honor of this dead clown. And God save the Queen, Sex Pistols!
No no nothing, nothing is reaching out to me in this year of Led Zeppelin. Nothing has come to reclaim me, not even Pink Floyd (well ok, I did fall into a trance in Pink Floyd. It's just difficult to study to PF). No words of wisdom from Neil, no pieces of Michael Nesmith, none of my metaphysical experiences with The Smiths. HOW MANY MORE NAMES CAN I DROP BEFORE I FALL OUT OF OBSESSION WITH LZ?
an infinite amount.
Drop all your matrices, all your equations, all your atomic numbers, double covalent bonds, drop every tile from your roof and fly away.
Pourquoi?
Ahhhhh...for words to write in parkinsons hand to dear children and audiences in hollywood and manitoba...
there is a large amount of je ne sais quoi.
but there is also the large factor that Led Zeppelin is a complete, entire, and whole band. Robert Plant, the lead singer, is only one small part, they're all playing off each other in glorious communion.

I will have to remember to remind my progeny to not forget if they ever start listening to Led Zeppelin they will never be able to stop.

2 comments:

  1. Emma hate to break it to you, Jimmy Page is the guitarist. Robert Plant is the lead singer. But I still agree with you. It was everybody that made Led Zeppelin who they were. John Bonham and John Paul Jones added so much to the songs that they wouldn't have been the same without them.

    ReplyDelete