11 August 2009

formality, my dear Watson

I'm still writing out animation scripts. I'm banned for saying five syllable types of things like "orchestrate instructional interactive conversations" and "developmentally appropriate" in fact my boss told me yesterday to go home and put on jeans, flip flops, and a t-shirt. I told him I don't wear flip flops. He told me my boots were to formal.

So my question is, how do I say, they bring literacy down to the level of a five year old, without sounding pejorative?


I've been reading Sherlock Holmes. The annotated version. We gave it to my sister for her birthday (two months in advance and wrapped in a plastic sack with a twist-tie bow). I immediately sequestered the fist volume.
I'm so wrapped up I'd name my first born Sherlock.
When my parents were first married my mother would read Sherlock Holmes before bed. One night when she said their connubial prayer, she prayed he would find the murderer.
I can understand that now. These annotations are trippy. I began to notice in the second or third story all of the annotations started with the belief that Holmes was a real person. I had to call my sister to reassure me that he was never a man of flesh and bones.

I'm certain I only sound this stuffy and five syllabled when I write. Please forgive me, I am most certainly pretentious, but I wouldn't like to be.

2 comments:

  1. You simply say, "They teach from the perspective of a five year old."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. You are much more pretentious in your writing, but that's why I enjoy reading it, Marge Bjork. And weren't most of those words 4-syllables? So tell your boss to shove. it.

    ReplyDelete