26 August 2009

take one more left to get to the lost city

Watch out if you ever borrow a coat from James Dean because I've heard that mortal chaos ensues. Not the chaos I heard Brian Greene, the foremost string theorist, speak of a couple of years ago; his "chaos preceeds creation." It's the chaos of a kitchen shared with roommates. Chaos that kills creativity. But then again Don McLean did write that song about devil's friends, marching bands, and books of love*. So, I guess maybe you could borrow the coat from James Dean, but on your way out could you encourage all people everywhere to do their own dishes? Or maybe at least wipe down the counters every once in a while if not immediately after they spill a little of this or that.

Sometimes it's as if Medea and Zeus and Orpheus really lived. Sometimes I walk down the street and think, "There! If I squint my eyes just enough, I can see all the way to Greece and overhead I can see the giant cumulous cloud where Zeus and Hera lived. I know it's the right cloud because it looks strong enough to hold doric columns. There must have been a time when gods threw lightning bolts and shot people with love sticking arrows.

I also know that if I drove out to California I'd find the BuyMore where Chuck works and that Johnny Cash really did ride a Tennessee stud. And there most definitely was a Harold and a Maude. Think they'd be my friend?

Do you have certain levels of belief? I've got the topmost rung with God, Christ and my family. And my closest of closest lovely friends. Then there's the rung with...hmmm...ladders don't work. Anyway next comes all the people I have met, then somewhere after that conglomerately come the Saints (all kinds) (All Saints...ha, get it?) and pioneers and Hamm and Nagg from Becket and music being magic**. Anything I can imagine really. I'll believe it when I feel like it and let it slip out of my fingers when it doesn't serve a purpose. It's just gotta bear good fruit. I like fruit a lot. Kiwis are my new kick. When I was a kid sitting in the school cafeteria with the plastic lunch trays and thirty children to a table, we would eat the brown fuzzy skins.

I'm done with this today. Some day I wish I could draw a word picture for you of Zeus's cloud appearning over small town shop windows.

*American Pie by Don McLean
**Lovin' Spoonful's Do You Believe in Magic (my answer: yes)

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog!

    And you'll be out before you know it, soon you will have roommates that know how to open a drawer, pull out a rag, and wipe off a table. (It's amazingly not that hard of a thing to do but apparently not that many people know this secret.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart broke a bit when I learned that James Dean, the ultimate man . . . you know . . . batted for the other side. Sometimes. Blah yuck sad.

    Also, come to California because Chuck is here at the BuyMore. Burbank is just 50 minutes from my abode. For real though, he's the friend of a friend, so maybe we could get hooked up.

    ReplyDelete