02 September 2009

my back to school back pack is packed with an insomnia pack and it's on my back

Again, later than I should be up under the "I will wake up early and do yoga" goal. Especially with four-ish hours of sleep last night. But tonight, after a nice little WomenTalkWomen discussion night, I was thinking about how important it has been for me to write my love letters to the abyssful/wonder-packed universe and so I knew I'd have to revel in that self-conflict çe soir.

Also, I can't sleep again.

Maybe it's because I just spent four months in a bored malaise of trying to finish this never ending documentary. The only mental stimulation I've been able to muster is the occasional stumper of a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Well, Chekhov's The Black Monk was really good, too.
I don't normally fall into bored stupors. And now it's back to school, or l'école as some would say. It's a joy. Let me tell you:

















Dear Film History,

My heart flutters at thy call.

Love,
Marge

All this talk about what affects film and how film affects the world. La, la, la, lovely. All I could think about for the rest of the day was Val Lewton. Typically, or maybe I should say generically, a series of films are classed by who directed the films, there are only two obvious exceptions that come to my mind, though I'm not the expert. (In fact, you should probably have stopped reading a long time ago to avoid my erroneous information.) One you certainly know: Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars were produced by George Lucas (NOT directed by GL which changed with Episodes 1-3 and you can judge for yourself the result of that. I personally choose to ignore they exist. And at the same time I feel guilty so diatribing the films because more and more I feel connected to those people who worked so very hard...) (all six were written by George Lucas and some others). My personal favorites, though, are the films Val Lewton produced: Cat People, The Curse of the Cat People, The Seventh Victim, I walked with a Zombie and lots a bit more. I'll tell you all about dear Val the next time we're in conversation.
And if you like silent films, we watched a great one today, at least I found it fantastic, but maybe that's because I'm at an impressionable age (mine never ends). Il s'appelle : The Crowd (1928).


No comments:

Post a Comment