01 February 2010

apollo can smell that girl's couscous

Sometimes I look at our youth (as in the youth we possess and not an age group of people) and I think we've become renaissance men. I don't mean in aristotelian or neo-platonistic ways, I'm bored by those ideas right now. I mean we're becoming jack-of-all-trades-like. I was talking to a friend the other day who has at least six jobs. They relate to Twitter, illegal french fries, socks, and stuffed animals. KB is working on the start-up of an Esty shop because she restores antiques and paints furniture (as well as being the cutest usher you ever did see). She says, "Why not make money doing what we like?"
Of course, the fact that we all have a million jobs may have something to do with the economy.
But before economy, when I was only sweat-shop-work aged, I dreamed of hanging my artwork up outside and selling them to people. It seemed much more appealing than selling lemonade. I figured out I could clothes pin my drawings to hangers and string them up across the front yard. I chickened out.

I plan on all-trading-it for a lot of my life. I like it.

remind me later to tell you my story about the kites.

3 comments:

  1. Your mother should have encouraged you instead of discouraging you from setting up a stand for selling your artwork. I know she loved your artwork--which was good--but she felt that the passing town dwellers' non reaction would have proved discouraging for you after all your work. She didn't trust them to have sense enough to see the beauty that was before them. I like to think she would have made a different decision today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, I was about to punch you in the face for implying that my mother discouraged me and then I realized who you were. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have bought one of your art works had I been in ND and passed by you selling.

    ReplyDelete