13 March 2010

the powerful princess

The other day at the bakery Cindy Lauper's Time After Time played on the radio. It took me back to being nine years old, laying in bed late-night-wakefulness. My little white digital alarm clock/radio would play always. All night radio listenings, book readings. So much craddling in music from decades past. White ceiling with shadows that fade away as eyes become used to the dark, bare window full of night sky.

Today at the bakery I had one of those times when my paranoia over junk food turned to physiological feelings of I'm-going-to-throw-up. We all know I've made a great deal of progress in my life but sometimes I haven't gotten there. 
I ate a red pear I had brought from home and felt better.
It seems obvious but sometimes the quiet wisdom of intellect is squashed in squalling weather of weakness. In other words, maybe I should have known this already, but eating lovely healthy food quiets the storms.

Then I started contemplating feminism and the middle ages. That was another thing completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment