05 April 2010

persephone's returning from the underworld

I just walked through the glorious outside world (so much inside time lately ughhh). It felt like spring. I feel like I'm going to make it. Birds chirping, a mild humidity to the air(?), one little scratch of bright pastel blue sky, green grass grows all around all around.

Yesterday, I sat under my sister's sun lamp. And when the sun burned through the clouds (though not diminishing them) I stood in the window and I could feel the warmth on my skin! Then the thick, green lawn lured me out and I stood with bare feet and felt grass. We're alive.

I read this poem last Wednesday in Poetry magazine of March 2010.

I have to tell you
by Dorothea Grossman

I have to tell you,
there are times when
the sun strikes me
like a gong,
and I remember everything,
even your ears. 

1 comment: