14 June 2010

get a life much?

I've got a Linda Ronstadt singing in my head.

"You go to my head, with a smile that makes my temperature rise
Like a summer with a thousand julys"

Which interestingly enough reminds me of family vacations.

Last week in my city a girl was brutally beaten and raped in the middle of the day. My roommate told me this right as I was about to head out the door on a run. I still went running because no  $^*&%#  is going to hold that threatening power over me. But that roommate and I had a conversation about the national sex offender registry. She'd never heard of it and I can't keep myself from looking things up when there are questions in the air. There's a compulsion in me that if there's anything one doesn't know one really must pull out all the stops and find out everything. It's impossible to resist. 
And so the internet and I pulled up a map and started checking out the various sex offending dots in my area and then suddenly realized I didn't want to know.
 
I don't want to know.

That's not an idea I'm very familiar with. 
(And then I wished I was Buffy the Vampire slayer with ridiculously amazing strength.)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment