07 January 2011

a university graduate in 2011 might live like this:

Let's be perfectly clear: I'm not exactly needed at RadioWest. They already have an intern, I just intrigued people with my enthusiasm and when you're a public program I don't know that you regularly turn down qualified (yeah, I'ma say I'm qualified, check out my univeristy degree!), free help. But they've taken me on and I've got work to do. Right now I am currently compiling a list of classic documentaries and since I'm ridiculous like this, I'm taking it upon myself to actually watch all of these films so I know what's up. Maybe you don't get how ridiculous that is: it is often plain to see, without watching a film, what its impact has been. And when documentaries have a tendency to take their time without apologizing...

I have decided I need to stop telling people I do what I want, whenever I want. Because while that's true (in fact, I feel like I've been doing that for months) because I am doing what I want and I work on my own so I make my own hours, this has a tendency to give people the idea that I am prancing about partying or being lazy. I've never really been that person. Even if I didn't have a job and an internship I've got a long list of things to do: study for the GRE, start pretentious discussion groups, find grad schools I want to go to and apply to them, work on my paper to submit to a conference, sand and refinish some furniture, make a short stop-motion film, edit the Community Gardens doc, go running...

There seems to be a pattern where all my paragraphs end with ellipses, I wonder why...

Another project I have up my sleeve we'll call my reconstitution/re-appropriation/mending of things. It doesn't sit well with me that I can own something that's in perfectly good condition but is a little out of date so the general rule would be to buy something new to replace it. Does that sound vague? Let's take it out of the abstract. I buy nice planners. Moleskine planners. But 2010 is over and 2011 is different and I need a new planner. I am not a smart phone person. I am a mildly resistant owner of a flashlight that serves as a cell phone. This summer my nice little Nokia fritzed out after two years so I bought a $20 Nokia go-phone and put in my SIM card. So paper is my planner. 2010's Moleskine planner is in good condition minus the dates that are already written all over and planned. But I was looking at it today and thinking, this I can easily reconstitute for 2011. It's gross to consume when I've got a nice thing already. Well...

I have nothing more to say today.

...

ALSO: If you have any suggestions of documentaries that should make my list or want to get in on this docfest of mine let me know! 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know that the three dots I use so often are called elipses... interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to join your pretentious discussion group, but I don't think you snobs would let me in.
    As I haven't studied film.
    Or graduated from college.

    If you're really pretentious you'd rule me out.
    And if you're not really pretentious, then I'm ruling YOU out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a ton of GRE study materials you can use if you want. Also, Community Gardens doc? Tell me more. And is there a community garden 'round these parts?

    ReplyDelete