11 May 2011

keepin' it real































For a while I thought it was significant that I was going to turn 24 (as I will do at the end of this month). It seems an age, it seems like a significant number–23 is the end of the set of early young person development, 24 is the beginning of adult numbers because after that comes 25, 26, 27....eventually you get to 30! People my age do things.

Then I remember I'm a baby. For example: Last night we were eating dinner at my house (these last couple of days have been extra lovely because we're all in town and reunionizing), and the others began wondering how it became so hard to find new friends (the last year has been a slow and great diaspora), we've done it once, can't we do it again? The general consensus was that it's harder as you get older. I'm a firm believer that we're not old so I peeked out of the pantry to say, "You guys! We're in our twenties you can't act that way!"

"Marge," says Alicia, "everyone here is in their late twenties except for you."

Oh.

Right.

I'm beginning to be convinced that I will almost always feel young.

6 comments:

  1. i am constantly needing to remind myself that i am not 19 and that i'm not 35. i never feel my age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tell people i am whatever todd's age is. also you look so old in that picture. also who cares how old anyone is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you always feel young!

    ReplyDelete
  4. remember how people actually commented (!) here and then maybe I accidentally deleted them.

    dang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Emma,
    I do love your blog. Your clouds and writing and thoughts about God inspire me.
    Becca

    When will we see each other again? Feels like forever.

    ReplyDelete