21 June 2011

"I don't have to answer that question"

There is an excellent documentary series that you should check out:



































Starting in 1964, Michael Apted chose a variety of seven year old British children and has followed up with them every seven years since. 49Up came out most recently, I believe, with 56Up coming in a few years. That is, if we can trust my math.

One of the underlying ideas of these films can be found in this clip:



"Give me the child until he is seven and I will give you the man." 

In other words, so much of our character is formed by the time we are seven, the unchangeable core of us and who we will be as an adult is already there and can already be seen. Upon reviewing my report cards and evaluations from second grade I was forced to agree with this ("has trouble expressing herself clearly"). And there was further proof this afternoon. When I was a kid I would wrap string and elastic bands around my fingers until they turned blue and my parents would have to cut me loose. Today I wrapped my finger up in black electrical tape as always and a few minutes later found I'd turned blue.


link to a PBS P.O.V. interview with Michael Apted
a clip of my favorite participant, Nick, in 49Up
 

3 comments:

  1. Love this. I have been wanting to have an Up marathon. It would take 18 hours or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo i remember these. soo neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did he do a USSR series as well? These are very cool.

    ReplyDelete