31 July 2011

kittens love other kittens*

Moving is a lot like going on vacation except you have to pack your life into five medium sized boxes, three small boxes, two bags, and a purse. And drive 1,100 miles and step into your childhood bedroom for the first time in a 1.5 years and wonder how you found yourself there.

Moving is a lot like going on vacation because it doesn't feel real.

How long it takes before life feels real again, I don't know. I've only made one real adult move previous to this and that was moving away from here. I never expected to come back.

This voice is sounding a little lost and wavery because we're in the first 24 hours of my arrival. You know the tearing away and settling in is the difficult point. Luckily I have a few great people who've been very expressive of their faith in me because it's much easier to float in the middle of a pond and feel like an empowered documentary filmmaker. Finding yourself in the middle of your adolescent stomping grounds armed with a little digital camera is intimidating.

But here's what I know: I'm a survivor, I'm going to make it, I will survive, keep on surviving.

Also, I've just received some eccentric creative direction for the week. I'm being commissioned with poetry.


Let grow my feisty, curious, loving, and quirky characteristics.


Really.


Start growing.


Now.




I've forgotten what mosquito country is like. I should have put on stronger spray.
*quote from a book I read a two year old today.

4 comments:

  1. your adolescent dreams of being a documentary film maker have literally come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are great and will keep doing great things, I have no doubt. the shock wear's off and then it's hard and then it gets easier. that's my experience at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. please excuse my erroneous apostrophe. also, I like you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've realized since moving back to FL that the best thing about living in Utah is its lack of bugs...which is completely different from the tropical forest I now live in. Oh well, FL has other perks like black people and trees.

    Keep moving forward Emmers! You can do that no matter where you are in life (geographically, mentally, emotionally, etc.) Love ya

    ReplyDelete