31 August 2011

that's just the way it is

I am a 24 year old, bachelor-of-arts holding, part-time parking attendant. Starting next week I give people parking tickets. I got the formal job offer by phone yesterday afternoon. It's something you laugh and cry about because of its hilarity and patheticness. But mostly it's funny. Mostly I find it weirdly charming and a perfect fit for all my other larger-than-time plans. Werner Herzog, love me.


Looking for the moon on a cloudy night led to my mom and I driving out to rural roads that ring our town. It's when it's cool, breezy, with the sky like dusky purple velvet falling into fields of wheat– fields that you know go on forever–when I feel at home, when I find comfort from the idea of this whole sea of earth wrapping around me. Indeed, in dusky lights I'm sure the plains are a blanket I could curl up in.


This will be a strange year. This morning I went on a walk to try to take pictures of the fog hanging around town. That was mostly impossible as fog is best seen in the distance or out of the corner of your eye. But I did see leaves already turning yellow. "Hey!" I wanted to yell, "It's only August 31st! Couldn't you at least wait until September 10th or something?!" No go, winter will be here in a month and a half which serves as an answer to my question of whether I'll dare to attend to parked cars while listening to my ipod and dancing in this extremely/strangely reserved society. I don't think it's possible to dance outside in winter. Not here. I'll try for you, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment