15 November 2011

things I find around the house part 1, or who looks really silly in this picture?

National Geographic Vol. 178, No. 6, December 1990


"Look fierce and don't smile for the camera: Those were the instructions given by this French television crew to Dzu Bushmen living in the Tsodilo Hills. Today few Bushmen, if any, live as simple hunter-gatherers in the manner of their ancestors. Paid to shed their Western clothes–and to pretend to stalk the crew's helicopter–they are being used to perpetuate a commercial fantasy" p. 50-51



"A sheet of water a few feet deep spreads over the Kalahari sands to create a lush oasis studded with islands that grow when silt builds up around termite mounds. Here I found an Africa I thought no longer existed. Here was a place where the antelope, the zebras, and I could drink freely from the same waters." p. 10-11

2 comments:

  1. I love this picture. I think I will make it Good Line's Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete