21 April 2012

shall I compare thee to a summer's day?



























Tonight we––what I affectionately refer to as my Old Ladies Choir––had our last concert of the season. Which is kind of bum because these are hilarious and great ladies but I'll be happy to have a break from religious Latin songs. (I know what killed Latin.) Before I continue, I want to tell you, we did sing some really fun pieces, like a gospel arrangement of Will the Circle be Unbroken which had us all dancing around every time we sung it. And I loved singing in German. (O NICHT MICH LIEBER!!) (TANGENT: my stomach keeps ribbetting like a frog and it's starting to drive me nuts.) But we sang this kind of cheesy song, I'm sorry, maybe you like it. I won't judge you if you do.





I found Harry Belafonte singing it because he's great even if the song isn't.


Where are you going my little one, little one
Where are you going my baby my own
Turn around and you’re two, turn around and you’re four
Turn around and you’re a young girl going out of the door


These words comprise the bulk of the song. The bittersweet feeling of watching your dear little girl grow up just like that. Blah, blah, blah....but can I tell you, that it kind of did twinge my heart a bit singing that song knowing that my piano teacher of 11 years was in the audience––you know, the woman who started teaching me almost twenty years ago? (Not that I haven't sung it every time with my actual dear mother but she thinks it's cheesy, too, so.)

This is a strange thing about coming back home to my wee little town. So many of these people watched me grow up. Yesterday I had a funny encounter with an old high school teacher and one of my dad's colleagues. "Are you who I think you are?" says Mr. S, "Is it you I've been seeing at the gym?"
"Of course it is! She's a runner," says Mr. T, "You still run don't you?"
(Which is the same question an old cross country coach asked me a few months ago.)

Maybe these little things don't seem abnormal to you, maybe they've always been a part of your life. But I haven't been back much over the last seven years and I didn't think I'd ever come back much. I'm glad I have though, I'm glad I'm here for now.

3 comments:

  1. i love you and i love your blog and i was reading mine the other day and noticed that you comment on almost every one of my posts. i read yours always, but don't comment, i always feel like your thoughts are complete and i have nothing to add. love love baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom would sing that song at each major growing-up stage in our life - cheesy, definitely, but there was still a little twinge there, too. Especially when she started singing it when I left on my mission. "Where are you going?" Answer: a crazy place on the other side of the planet.

    ReplyDelete