25 May 2012

always violence, always

Today I got asked to make a short documentary, still bitty pay but that adds to the last film (fiction!!!?!), house sitting, and now full-time job I have––this has to add up to enough for me to move to Seattle in January, right? Yeah, I'm saying it on my blog now. I knew I couldn't stay here forever, I just didn't know what to do next. But I took that trip to seattlecattle on the train and I think that will be the next step. We've got to take steps. To somewhere. And all I can do is keep thinking of the Provo River Bike Trail that takes me up the canyon or to lake and that's something I miss so dearly and can't ever get a skype fix of. It's all I want for my birthday, ok? Just give me the PRBT.


I knew and never wanted this North Dakota stay to be forever, so I want to move to Seattle. Like my friends and family there have always been asking me to. In fact, I could have moved there right after college graduation. Did I ever tell you that? I had a place rent free to move there and I wouldn't. And I didn't stay in Provo though I was encouraged to apply to a full time media position there. I wouldn't. Well, maybe I've told you all those things before, I find I repeat myself a lot.


I moved here.


It's such a funny place. I always thought there was something wrong with it growing up. I bemoaned the plains and all their great flatness. The lack of trees anywhere outside of the amazing parallel lines of shelter belts. The large populations of people who'd never been outside of a hundred mile radius and who's favorite food was pizza. You know, Pizza Hut-esque pizza.


Gosh, I'm such a snob. There's nothing wrong with here and there never has been and I always want to punch people when they ask the question, "So what's even in North Dakota?" (I severely wish I knew how to punch, why haven't I ever learned?), and anyway, the Pizza Hut went out of business here. I love this place no matter how much I hate my lack of yogurt choices at the local grocery stores.


This interesting thing has been happening this past week. At this new job, I'm part secretary part draftsperson. I've been set to the task of learning AutoCAD, an architectural/technical drafting software, in order to plot out the campus floor plans and remodels. I've got 2d down pretty well but 3d is proving to be a rather different beast.


It's strange because I've never worked in an office, never kept office hours––I haven't had scheduled hours in years. Deadlines, yes. Lots of deadlines. Ugh. And I'm learning something I never thought of before but I think will prove useful throughout my life. Particularly if I can figure out 3D. No, not if, when.


So there's the plan: move to Seattle in January and learn how to punch people. This has to be the most explicit I've been with my life story on this blog ever, right?

2 comments:

  1. Changes are scary, but I'm super glad you're doing things that will make you happy.

    Also - I just read three years worth of a newspaper column called Prairie Lite (by Carla Kelly) that is based out of North Dakota. She seemed to love it there too, and I think I can see why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this explicit post. I like knowing what's going on in your life. And I think I'm more likely to see you in Seattle. I'm glad that you liked your visit there.

    ReplyDelete