10 June 2012

abs herd.

I have this idea for a film. 
It starts out with this girl who's been housesitting for week. She spends an evening skyping with a friend and when she gets off, she goes into the bathroom. As she's sitting on the toilet, the shower curtain is pushed aside by a giant spider who snatches her in his pinchers and snaps her in half. So she's dead. She wakes up in this white cloudy place, where everyone is dressed in white and super busy. Someone with a clipboard comes and finds her and says, "Welcome to Heaven, Marge. We're so glad you got here now, we really need you to make a documentary about this thing."
"This isn't Heaven," she says, "this is Hell!"
"Oh, haha, no no. This is Heaven. Now, see, we'd like it to be 20-30 minutes and could you see about getting it on these three different heavenly airwaves?...Where are you going?"
"Somewhere else," she's wandering away,"I'm not a filmmaker!"
She's gotten a few blocks and is looking through the window of a bakery she's found when Mr. Clipboard has caught up with her.
"Now, Marge. We have it down here that you studied documentary in college, it's in the book that's written by angels, are you going to tell us the angels got that wrong?"
"They didn't get anything wrong, I did study it in college. But I don't like it, I don't want to do it anymore. I gave it my last shot. You're not doing me a favor by giving me this opportunity. I tried it, many times, and every time, it just felt horrible."
"So what do you do?"
"I don't know. I'd like to try something new. What do you have I can try?"
"If you don't have a better idea shouldn't you stick to doing documentary? You just need some practice."
"No. How about I try eating some of Heaven's sourdough bread? You've got butter, right?"
"Now is not the time, Miss Bjork! Really!"
"I was right, this is not Heaven."
"This is most upsetting."
"Yup."


They stand around.


"Well," Marge breaks the silence,"I'm going in," indicating the bakery.
"But you've got no money!"
"This is not Heaven."
"You've got to earn it!"
"I QUIT! What have I just been doing? Sure I died at 25 but shouldn't that merit at least a slice of sourdough? What if I left off the butter?"
"You've got to work here to take part in the economic system––"
"Yeah, I'm just going in. That baker has got to be better company than you."


Movie ends with Marge stepping into the bakery with a smile on her face.

1 comment: