03 June 2012

cat stevens diamonds

To be completely honest, I really mostly keep up on what the rest of the country is thinking by listening to NPR. This may not actually tell me what the rest of the country is thinking but I don't really know what to do about that. No––I do, I ask questions. Anyway, people on NPR a month or so ago were talking about some unrest over google and facebook collecting personal information and using this info to give you more targeted ads. This is not a concern of mine as I have never yet come across sidebar ads that have drawn me in or seemed particularly applicable to my life. In fact, I find it funny to see what they come up with.


Netflix does a similar thing, asking you to rate movies you've seen and suggesting ones you might like. Today they thought I might be interested in The names of love. Description: "Follow the crusade of Baya, a left-wing femme fatale who seeks to rescue right-wing men from their conservative values by taking them on as lovers."


I guess I did go on a date yesterday with someone who listened to an audiobook biography of George Washington they thought was probably written by Glen Beck.


It gets better, because I posted this on fbook and later had an ad for something about being a sexy lady.


They wasted ammo targeting a girl like me.


It's not exactly that I'm not interested in being sexy––femme fatale I could never be––it's just that I'm not Scarlett Johansson in black leather sexy. If you like me and I like you then...well. What more can you want? (RHETORICAL QUESTION) Just don't imagine I'll be in any Hollywood action movies unless there is suddenly a demand for a female Clark Kent that has no spandex-sporting alter-ego.  


I used to think there was only one way to be sexy. Thank heavens I got over that. 




You should listen to this solely to hear Cat Stevens say, "I was thinking about Alfred Hitchcock and his chin..."


No comments:

Post a Comment