31 August 2012

High Noon!

It's still weird that I bought a ridiculous amount of Pet Shop Boys last week. It's really no good to fall asleep to but it's kind of great for handing out parking tickets. Because I still do that, by the way. I have the weirdest job. 

During my more brainless, repetitive tasks I've been noticing how strange many songs are when you listen to all of the lyrics. Generally, lyrics need a high level of universality for anyone else to identify with and enjoy the song. But there's this PSB song, I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing, in which there's the lyric "I feel like taking all my clothes off/ dancing to the Rite of Spring." Which does not seem universal even though it's something that I can imagine myself saying but not followed by the line "and I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing." Because ever since this idea was presented to me I've been thinking that it's something that should be done on a regular basis. Is it universal? Isn't it funny? Isn't it just the greatest idea ever? I've been enjoying imagining the various personal experiences that would lead someone to that particular form of...expression. What would that even be an expression of? Werner Herzog would have something really great to say about this.

Another thing I've been pondering is what would be fantastic remade as a Bollywood movie. Charles Dickens would be amazing. Seriously, Oliver Twist? All those singing and dancing orphans and pickpockets and the crowds of London? Twilight would be even funnier and possibly easier to empathize with (read: actually possible to empathize with). And what about Waiting for Godot for a real creative challenge? Or even Catcher in the Rye. They're such the antithesis of Bollywood but think of the new ideas and meanings that could be derived with a little more choreographed footwork. Next time we talk, can we discuss other Bollywood possibilities? Because it's a really great game. I mean, speaking of Herzog, Aguirre the wrath of God? That scene where the man is counting when his head gets chopped off and his decapitated head lands on the ground and says, "ten," that would make a great musical number. 

Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead

Harry Potter!

Charlotte's Web!

Babe! (singing and dancing sheep!!!)




Uhhh...Never mind. I take it back. Dancing naked to the Rite of Spring may be universal. At least, I just found a bunch of ballerinas in nude suits dancing their spring rites on youtube. Also, I would probably dress up as a lumberjack to get my Stravinsky groove on.

1 comment:

  1. Sparkling vampires that sing and dance - that could almost make the plot believable. I also vote for Star Trek, Bollywood Style. Spock would be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete