03 August 2012

you can dance but you can't curl up with a spreadsheet

I should only listen to 60s rock & roll at work. Or this guy:





Seriously, listen to that or you'll never know what it means to be delighted.





For some reason I've been really into the Pet Shop Boys these last few days at work. Which has made me realize that my desk area sounds like an uncomfortable waiting room. What a nightmare. But there's just nothing to be done, pretty much all music sounds terrible when played below a certain decibel level.





Feeling overwhelmed by weighty waitingness, I thought that perhaps Enya might be OK? Because I do. love. Enya. The way I love all things childhood. Some day when I own my little movie theatre there will not be commercials or terrible trivia that plays before the movie trailers start, it will be Enya. Because that's what theatres did when I was little and it still feels cathartic now. The anticipation of being swept up in a new world mixed with a little sadness knowing you'll have to let it all go in a couple of hours and things will be the same as they were before but not quite. Something has happened to you and while it will eventually slip from the front of your mind, deep down you've expanded the number of alternate universes hidden in your soul. 


So now I don't listen to Enya at work because I'll get lost in dreamland save for a small amount of my consciousness that will rankle with every piece of data I have to enter in yet another spreadsheet.

1 comment:

  1. She did such a good job teaching him to yodel.
    And I have been delighted.

    ReplyDelete