01 June 2013

the beginning of project: TEXTILE



I've got dreams in my brain of things I want to make with textiles. The simple, wholesome, reassuring weaves of linen and muslin call to me from their bolts, they need to be freed from Joanne's and taken home but I resist. I need to learn the *how to* of everything I want to do before I accumulate any more stuff.

In some ways I'm a brilliant student--I'm pleasant and my spelling and grammar are OK. In other ways I'm attrocious--I want to be free to wander, snack, ask multitudes of questions, and do things my own way, following after my own ridiculous notions. For something like learning how to sew, I don't think one person should bear the brunt of my eccentricities. But teaching myself how to do things is sometimes a really cathartic, messy process. It reworks my innards, my patience, and grows my world. 

I'm about to purposely embark in teaching myself to sew--to sew well, like I want to. I've been wading into this water for a while now--I'm on crazy quilt #2, though I'm not sure if I learn from it, I'm just growing more comfortable. But now I've crawled into the good ship Textile. This blog will now serve as the place where I'll write the guide I want to have and document this (possibly backwards) adventure.

Do you have any sewing books, patterns, or blogs you'd like to recommend to a beginner like me?

1 comment: