16 February 2014

THINGS YOU MUST LISTEN TO TODAY



because I can't stop thinking about the character of Gertrude Stein in Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris (2011) saying the job of an artist is to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. I would say Existence is not empty, but that we live emptily. So listen to the First imagining you're with me sitting on a living room floor at the foot of the record player, eyes closed and sharing a drink. Listen to the Second for words most beautiful about love and searching ("I will love you...til the ocean is folded and hung up to dry // In headaches and in worry / vaguely life leaks away"). Listen to the Third being quiet and still, remembering moments you're grateful for. 






5 comments:

  1. Did all of these things you suggested and can't even handle the beauty of that last song. It was like all the yearnings of soul & lengthy grass mixed together: an upwards reaching. Also, that AUDEN. fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he amazing?! I really need to read more Auden.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing Auden and the visuals. Yearning they are. I must make time to contemplate more. I prefer our other favorite Gunga Din but this was also nice.
    love,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, this post is beautiful. It makes me miss you all the more. Here's to wearing your pants inside out in Paris.

    xx
    mcphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Oh Marianne, I hope I see you again soon and can hear more about your life.

      Delete