03 September 2007

an experiment to rival all coke and ice's vices

There is a quiet time of day when things have rattled around in hollow silence too much. Such an afternoon was this.

Now I set this question before you:

Was it lame of me to watch episode, episode, episode of America's Next Top Model?

(Slightly.)

However, my third year of uni commences tomorrow along with my third millennium of work and today was Labor Day. And so I labor-freed it.
My friends are feeling apprehensive about the first day back. What will we wear and will we make new friends? I am feeling indifferent. Maybe it is because the only reason I ever felt any feeling over the beginning of school was a bittersweet pang over the ending of a rich and joyous summer. My summer was rich and joyous but it ended long before now because August is the busiest month of the year for my job. My job is my life is a grill.
A grill.
A sports themed grill.
I don't eat meat or fried things and I don't believe in taking sports seriously.
But I just spent my whole Saturday morning whispering so as not to upset the school football team during their seclusionatory pre-game meal.
To further the irony, I am the only girl who works there who isn't bothered by touching raw meat.
And I have so devoted my life to running this grill smoothly that it is the only thing I ever have to talk about.
My boss says the loss of my soul is only a temporary thing.
Lies.

The other day I was telling my parents I don't think I smile as much as I used to and my dad suggested everyday I write down three good things that happened. So I'm going to try it.

one: I found a 24 hour bread recipe that promises to be tasty and European with a hard crust and soft, pockety interior.

two: I bought real groceries (yes I am a foodie, but really I'm happy because I've been so busy at the grill--where I don't eat the food--that all I've been eating for the last three weeks is peanut butter).

three: I watched TV with one of my roommates.

1 comment:

  1. Your soul is your own and you cannot lose to the grill. Be slow. Be gentle. And care.

    ReplyDelete