21 December 2007

what, what, what? He said something clever

Finishing up my finals was a bit hectic, I didn't even start packing until ma soeur was driving over to my apartment to pick me up. Despite the line of 20 people on my first flight that had been overbooked I made it all the way up to sitting on the plane for the second half of my journey.
And then I gave up my seat and went through another 24 hours of limbo. They had already pulled away the walkway that goes between the gate and the plane so I had to leave by a little stairway. Airport Grandpa (a wizened airport worker) was golden. He offered his hand to make sure I made it safely from stairway to ground as if I was a lady and he kindly offered his arm so that I wouldn't slip on the ice on our way to the little hidden door to take me back to the gate. I love to be taken care of like that. It's unnecessary but at the height of heartwarming.
I did get a flight yesterday. I always feel a kinship when I get on the plane for ye olde home. It's always a small flight and the people all have a pie shaped piece for ye olde home in their heart. When you share a piece of the same pie you've got to have some comradery. My accent from there is mainly an adopted thing. My best friend and I used to sit around and imitate all the native olde homers. (It's one of those places where you must settle for generations before you're a native.) So I notice as I get into conversation with the Grandma next to me (there were lots of grandparents in this trip. I met a Grandpa who was a stained glass artist) and we're talking about different travels and world things that I'm molding my vowels out more than I normally do.
The best part (besides having lefse in the fridge) is when I arrived home in the middle of my parents Christmas party hungry--I went straight for the cheese ball--and in clothes that I'd been living in for 34 hours. Luckily I'd worn a comfortable and unwrinkle-able dress.

And because of my trouble I have a Christmas present of a roundtrip ticket anywhere in the 48 states. Who's up for a trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment