24 February 2008

the song remains the same, achilles

I seem to have lost my need to publicly declare my deep and intensely intellectual findings with the world of light years.
Maybe it's because I got tired of my indie music, I've been re-delving into the realms of classic rock and old country music which make me want to sit on a back porch stoop and/or hang out in back alleys, and tonight I went to a metal show (where I did hang out in a back parking lot and I tried headbanging for the first time since junior high) and now I have a trumpet mute in my right ear.
Maybe it's because I am now graded (in my film classes) on how pretentious I realize I am.
Anyway, I found myself with the salt of the earth today. I mean salt in a seedy way. I found myself waiting for a bus transfer at a stop in a corner of city I had never explored before but seemed to be frequented by large amounts of seedy salty people. I would like to emphasize for the rare person who might worry something terrible about my safety that I was in no compromising situation. I sat on a rock shivering and eavesdropping on everyone's conversations. My favorite was one man who started talking to someone about music.
"Who's your favorite singers?"
I could never tell how much the younger man was responding but the older man didn't seem to need any replies, he had a lot to say. I kept wondering who were these singers that both men had seen until the name Simon came into the conversation.
I realized he was talking about American Idol.
"Simon really lays it out. He says you're a cabaret singer*..."
It went from how Simon tells you whats what, to if you have a talent that's what you've been called to do and that's between you and God, to Whitney Houston and Janet Jackson "Love will save the day**," and then how you need to make something of your life, they can't put the hood into you, Oprah did it you can to, "I hate working too, I hate waking up every morning with my cat in my face. Tigger's right there in my face waking me up and I say go away Tigger and she says 'Feed me I'm hungry' and I feed her just like I have for a thousand mornings."
I did start thinking I had finally gotten myself an adventure when I got on the bus and it took me into the seedy quarter of town but I talked to the nice bus driver and he actually drove me right up to exactly where I need to be: the cheapest venue I have ever been to in my life. It was very reminiscent of the places I might find in that old home country I grew up in.

*he most definitely did not say the world singer
**Whitney Houston song

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that you compare the west side to the buffalo wallow. This is something we must discuss more.

    ReplyDelete