08 May 2008

the lit up rhinoceros

I am feeling this whole warmer weather thing.
I'm down with it, I say!
Tonight I went a couple of blocks south for a "parachute party." Remember in elementary school when you would all hold a corner of the parachute and wave it up and down and run underneath it and sit down quickly so it all billowed around you?
Well, we twenty-somethings revisited youth tonight.
I support this warmer weather laziness.
I support playing catch and laying about in large laid-back groups. Or small laid-back groups. Or solo laid-back groups.
Let intelligence recuperation begin.

Oh, tonight singleness made me intelligent again. My mother the reference librarian gave me an old library book last summer "Drawings by American Artists." So I was eating dinner at my coffee table (it helps that there's no TV anymore) and I picked up the large little coffee table book. There were a few profound statements in the "pre" pages.
"The differences...are less important artistically than the one thing which they have in common. That quality is communication. The degree of its success depends in large measure upon the perception of the artist. If this drawing gives us only a physical description of his subject it may be likened to a story which gives facts only, but if, in addition to this, his drawing communicates his personal reaction and through the agency of line and tone he is able to interpret his subject--then we may conclude his drawing has justified the time and effort expended in its making."

P.S. Singleness is cooler, obviously, but being engaged probably makes you smarter because being faced with other people's opinions is what really makes intelligent human beings. At least that's what I currently pretentiously think.


Viva la summer.

1 comment: