16 October 2008

die cod uh me vs. dual at tea

When I went home this summer ma soeur asked me to philosophically analyze a little cactus that was on our kitchen table. She thought I would be good at it. Poihaps this means I philisopholize a little too much.
In that case, let it be said that I miss The Gang's (you know who you are and those of you who are not have never known you are not but don't feel disheartened. I heart you still.) discussions about what if's and solutions to world problems. Par exemple: Ricky has a handle on the worst case scenario. If you are ever stranded on a deserted island you should have McGiver with you and you should play Minesweep incase you are ever in a mine field. For foriegn policies, Taradise plans on capturing the Loch Ness monster to hold and then breed to keep terrorists, nasty dictators, etc in check.
I like to pose the subject of Pangea to people, it's a viable solution to alleviate nationalist tensions. Laquina can take care of humanitarian aid with her plans for orphaned and homeless hungry children. That's only the tip of the iceburg, I'm telling you, we're much more productive than Angelina Jolie adopting cambodean children.
Not that any of this merits having a blog at all, but then furthermore, I want to discuss right here and now my adolescent dreams of becomming a documentary filmmaker (I picked that up from *GAG* Serendipity). I was founded on the principles of the American Dream. Then I found out the American Dream is a misnomer. Vernacular-wise we know what's going on. But I remember having a vivid realization while watching those "I...am an American" commericals on ChannelOne TV in some highschool homeroom. Canadians are Americans and Peruvians are Americans. I had this wild dream to see a commercial proclaiming, "Soy uno americano."
What is the American Dream? West Side Story? Wait...I mean Romeo & Juliet? I mean, Shakespeare? I mean the archetypical romance that dates back before the beginnings of recorded history and was made famous by the three-hundreth person to put it into verse? I mean, I sometimes feel I've been educated to analyze all forms of media and story-telling so much that I could have a great carreer in digging?
(Pardon me as I step back for a moment and apologize for myself, since I am most decidedly a pretentious 21 year old who is hardly the most coherent person.)
But maybe I shouldn't consider the American Dream a misnomer. Because Canada provides a fresh start and possibilities. And think of how many people emmegrated to Brazil after WWII and at other times in history.
However, what I'm saying is that in elementary school we had these Weekly Readers that told me America is a melting pot and that by the year 2000 our cars would fly and our fridges would talk. I was enthralled by melting pots but a little afraid of flying cars. The Jetsons were too uniform for my tastes. Afterall it was about this time in my life I told my parents I was a flower child. They insisted I wasn't but refrained from explaining about the drugs. I remember reading about the possibilities of solar panels but noticed my calculator would stop working if I covered up the little solar pannels at the top. Bill Nye would say, "What's up with that?" Yeah, Bill Nye, what's up?
What happens is that at somepoint someone theoritically grabs you by the ear and drags you away from your café table where you've been mulling over some ideas with Jean Paul Sartre and tells you, "You know, someday you're probably going to have a job where you're going to be working for a TV show and the rule book will not allow for jump cuts and you will edit two minute pieces together from twenty hours of footage and it will not be profound and it will follow classical rules. You probably won't be making a carreer out of wowing people on the independent documentary film festival circuit."

Anyway, I figured out that life just keeps going no matter who wrote Romeo and Juliet. And it's great.

Practicality.

Action.

Enter me, Marge the pragmatic.

2 comments:

  1. The problem is that there is too much reanalyzing of every interpretation of every event/human/misnomer - hence the brilliance of the gang. Simplicity. Genius.

    You should do a film project entitled, The Gang Solves All Human Problems, Ever. Or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a time when an older relative and I decided that all the world's problems were the fault of the state's DOT and that the way to solve it was to marry another relative off to them. Simple enough to me.

    Then she had to go an marry a pre-doctor.

    And look at the mess the world is in today! The nerve.

    ReplyDelete