25 February 2009

I believe that time will wound all heels (heals?)*


I got my music taste from my parents.
OK, some of you might argue that I dress like them as well, what with dad pants and everything...

I can remember my mom one day listening to Camelot as she was cleaning up around the kitchen or something and she grabbed my attention for a minute.
"Marge, listen to Richard Burton singing this song, 'Winter is forbidden til December, and exits March the second on the dot."
I held up the record album, fixated by the art. The old english lettering and pictures of Julie Andrews and all the bitty curly-ques while my mom talked about the ideals of Camelot and then what happens and how Richard Burton ends up giving up.

She was never a big fan of rock n' roll. I did grow up on Peter Paul and Mary and one time I got her to explain that she liked them better than the Mamas and the Papas because of their harmonies. She likes ABBA.

And she always tells me about how she became a teenager when she was 18 and she saw Hard Days Night in the theatre. That's probably the best way I've ever heard of becoming a teenager.

When I got bored with practicing my Bartok for piano lessons, I'd thumb through our collection of old sheet music. I found my mom's copy of The Rolling Stones, As Tears Go By. I'd play it through and through.


Early this January, I'd been having a grand old time breakfasting at a little restaurant holding hands over a table (I hope holding hands across a table will never get old) and the boy left for a minute. I started paying attention to the melodies floating around and suddenly I picked out Mick Jagger singing, "I sit and watch as tears go by..."
There was my song.
I bought it this weekend and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

*John Lennon

No comments:

Post a Comment