27 November 2009

in the end we have the same idea

I'm going to fill your triptophan brain with my Thanksgiving stuffing.

You see, I'm thankful my parents moved 1100 miles away from their families to the remote upper midwest and I want you all to know it. Our Thanksgivings were always the oddest of holidays growing up. We invited all of the family-less people over for the day. There were Australians who'd bring scones and vegemite, people from church we'd drive 45 miles (one-way) to pick up, and professors from my dad's university. One of these colleagues was Milton. Milton would always bring his flute or Native American recorders to play for us. It just doesn't seem like Thanksgiving without Milton.

I miss the stalwart, make-do, band-together spirit of my UMW more everyday.

Thanks, Mom and Dad. I think we have had the best life ever.

And I don't like vegemite. Not thankful for that.



And I have recently (as of today) become thankful for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.





Annnnnnnd end scene.

4 comments:

  1. I knew you'd succumb to Buffy at some point. I'm disappointed that you did it without me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my job this summer, there were Australians who would bring Vegemite to meals.Interesting stuff...
    It was funny because they thought that our over usage of peanut butter was disgusting.

    Your past Thanksgivings sound grand, like something out of a movie.

    ReplyDelete