27 January 2010

tempt me

The bakery.

Can be boring because all I do is sweep but I love the customers. Sometimes they tell me all about their lives when I don't even prompt them.

Today a middle aged woman came in and got a donut and a soda. "I really shouldn't be doing this but I'm just so stressed. Do other students feel this way?"
"Oh yes, yes, we all feel that way."
"Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just was having such a stressful day and I called my son to see if I could stop by and get a hug but he said he was at school, we go to different colleges you know, and so I came here. To have a treat."
"Well, sometimes a treat just does the trick."

"Hables espaƱol ?" another woman asked me.
"Uhhhhhhh...uno poquito."
We tried to sort out the bus schedule together. I knew how to say le auto bus because that's something you say to a five year old who's kind of bi-lingual but everything else was all fuzzy and frenchy. I should work on that.

"I shouldn't be getting all these donuts and cookies," said one man, "this could be bad for my health."
"Oh no, these are all very good for you!" I said confidently, "These are full of vitamins!"
He looked me in the eyes for a second and said, "You are very good at lying."
"Thank you."

Someone else tried to tell me about a donut boiled in dulce de leche called a queen's arm. His wife kept telling him I didn't know what he was talking about. It's true, I kind of didn't. He also told me that he can eat lots of sweets and then eat some celery or lechuga before he tests his blood sugar and the celery fixes everything! Makes it go waaaaayyyyy down. He assured me that he's tested his own blood long enough to know what's going on. I told him to enjoy his lechuga.

4 comments:

  1. If you tell me the peanut butter cups are full of protein, I'd believe you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to try the celery trick. I'm also going to call you sometime this weekend. (I have to tell you or else I won't) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need to try some of the dougnuts your selling. I've only seen ones full of sugar and fat. Plus, it'd be nice to see you at work.

    Thanks for the stories. I loved them!

    ReplyDelete