23 March 2010

there wasn't ever anything else in this world for me but this

Today as we sat on our back row in Film History class (the class where I get to draw evil bunnies on my tests) the lights dimmed and we watched Jaws. Imagine my joy at finally seeing this 1975 landmark film.

At one point a newscaster stands on the beach of Amity and says, "but a dark cloud has come over this island. A cloud in the shape of a killer shark." 


End this as a night where a classmate and I lay on the floor of an aisle in the uni. library reading about sci-fi movie scores.

Sometimes I bask in the light from the projection booth and think of how magical cinema is. Oh what great art we have! We work and it's uncomfortable and long and ambitious and tedious and it's magic. We've captured something, told a story. Images of life and imagination and dream. Soundscapes create worlds outside the camera frame. Cinema is alive, it's interactive.

The moving image!
Watching the world through a viewfinder!
Exploring everything for the rest of my life!
Reaching people through storytelling!
Giving voice to the voiceless!
Expressing the importance of our quotidian!


I am in love.

1 comment: