26 October 2010

grey day shun, or, as the seasons devolve


Once (perhaps it was last night) I kind of tried to dye my hair reddish. You might point out that my hair already leans reddish in the brunette spectrum. Well maybe that's why this morning when I looked at my hair in the mirror I thought, If I hadn't been there, I wouldn't believe I'd dyed my hair at all.

The absurdity of how fairly unchanged my hair looks, tempts me to buy another package of dye and try again to see how many times I can dye my hair with such imperceptible change. Absurdism will be my downfall.

This is all part of my attempt to be La Roux, or more appropriately the androgynous performing Elly Jackson half of La Roux, for Halloween. I'm mesmerized by her. The short red hair, bold style, outskirts attitude, and on top of all this she sings in my vocal range! This has never happened before in all of pop history.

As a side note, my Freddy & the Dreamers radio station has now devolved into The Doors and Aerosmith. Not that I didn't go through an Aerosmith phase in junior high and not that I don't like a little doorsiness now and then....but we were going for goofy, goony Freddy, remember?

What I'm trying to get at is this (note the ironic tone as I now devolve and digress some more)
1. Even though I love La Roux and she will serve as my new style icon, I still can't imagine that I'll actually expand my color palette out of my greys, tans, blues, blacks, creams, and reds. Green? What? Bright colors, what?

2. I also don't foresee the advent of more make-up colors. And even though I've always wanted redder hair and apparently I can get a pretty natural redder look I'm still hesitant because what if I have to keep dying it so none of us get bored with my previously enjoyable but now dulldrum boring brown?

3. La Roux is also amazing because she has escaped being categorized as "adorable" or "cute." Androgyny is so fantastic. I am not sure if I will, at any point, ever escape being "cute" in a (non)pejorative way. Although I generally work this in my favor. Like when I threaten to cut people.


4. I am most definitely boring in the "writing nonfiction for children and adolescent" category. This is my latest english assignment. Write for publication in a children's mag. Well, no children's mag will take me, I'm way too depressing.

5. It will never fail that every year I will become a slugabed and feel rather hibernationish.

6. Google docs believes that internet should be capitalized.

1 comment:

  1. My sister tried to dye her hair black once, and was very upset when nobody noticed. Apparently the switch from dark brown to black is not noticeable to the average human.

    If you did wear more green, would I need to add more creams to balance the world? I don't know if I could do that.

    ReplyDelete