18 December 2013

A note about showing up somewhere else

Surprised I was a couple of weeks ago when an old, dear friend emailed to ask me if I would agree to be interviewed for her blog. I'm a normal person guys, I don't really get asked to do interviews.

I grew up with Holly and can't remember not knowing her. We moved to North Dakota around the same time and went to church together. I've loved Holly for always, she's one of those people with whom I often identify but still find wonderfully perplexing as I try to get to know her. Now she lives in Minneapolis with her husband and she's started this great blog called Embracing Vanilla. Here's a bit of the reasoning behind the blog name:

I have had some good opportunities and experiences, and I have seen friends and acquaintances acquire even better ones. Instead of being afraid or insecure of others' successes we (I) should learn from them. This idea is a little terrifying since I'd much rather flash a weak, congratulatory smile and go wallow in my 'woe is me' thoughts than have an actual conversation with this person, but whether someone's a doctor, a marketing VP, a teacher or a taxi cab driver, I think everyone has simple vanilla days and triple chocolate mint brownie days, and we could all learn a little something from one another. People are probably more willing than we (I) think to help others out if we (I) can get over the fear of asking.

I've found it to be really heartening to read her blog posts and take the encouragement to be more satisfied with my own life and to be more satisfied with others. One of the regular features of her blog is to interview professionals at all different levels. Which brings us back to when she asked if I would mind answering some of her questions. I'm at the strangest level of professional if ever I was one. But I was honored to be asked and it was good to reflect upon her questions. So you should check out her blog and maybe even the part where I show up. There are some recent pictures of me and that never happens! I'm like a yeti! Except not. OK, thanks guys for being my friends. I love you all dearly.


P.S. Would you rather be a daring explorer, a poltergeist, a spy, or a blacksmith? 

No comments:

Post a Comment