21 December 2013

I am 87 years old and refuse to admit I'm an anglophile

Tuesday I ended up at Gare du Nord too late to make it to class at a decent time no matter the combination of metro or bus I tried. It is from Gare du Nord the Eurostar departs to chunnel you over to London and how extremely tempting it was to run away. I've barely spent 50 hours in London but I've fallen in love. England in general is just a delight. Why didn't I study English?

Oh wait...

This week I finally finished the Oedipus trilogy and, in doing so, found an inspiring quote:

"Thou hast a fiery soul for numbing work"
so says Ismene to Antigone

If that doesn't save you from Thoreau's quiet lives of desperation, I don't know what will. It's what I've been telling myself when I'm about to dread another day of scrubbing sinks. "Self! Thou art a documentarian! Thou has a fiery soul for numbing work!" Works wonders, I tell you. Try it sometime.

Also, if I were ever to open a night club (hahahaha) I'd name it Box of Night after the literal translation of the French for night club, boƮte de nuit. The place would be full of cushy arm chairs, books, maps, there'd be a tea room, and every night would be a different mix of Cole Porter, the Hollies, Bach, Otis Redding, TLC...you get the idea. At least once a week there'd be a competition for the best riddle and another night for puns. OH! And a "dress up as your favorite David Bowie era" night. Yeah, that would be fun.

If you had a night club, what would you name it? Do you know any good riddles? How do you feel about my new inspiring quote? Are you a closet anglophile too? What makes you want to run away? Where would you go? What books are you reading? What are your thoughts on the differences between Sophocles' Antigone and the version by Jean Anouilh? Have you read Shakespeare's Coriolanus? What movies are you dying to see right now?

1 comment:

  1. If you had a night club, what would you name it? Le coeur d'Or. (The Gold Heart)

    Do you know any good riddles? No. Riddles kinda stress me out.

    How do you feel about my new inspiring quote? I like it. Great application and great shout out to Thoreau.

    Are you a closet anglophile too? Je ne sais pas.

    What makes you want to run away? Angry unreasonable humans.

    Where would you go? Mmm the mountains or the ocean. Whichever is nearer/in good weather.

    What books are you reading? Divergent (again), a book about angels, siddhartha

    What are your thoughts on the differences between Sophocles' Antigone and the version by Jean Anouilh? I don't know the difference but I know I liked Antigone when I read it in 10th grade.

    Have you read Shakespeare's Coriolanus? Non.

    What movies are you dying to see right now? Secret life of Mitty, Saving Mr. Banks,

    ReplyDelete