07 December 2007

I bit of tarnish on that silver tea set and I might drink out of it. tarnish! tarnish dagnabit!

Don't worry guys, I found my ring. You might not have caught that (j'ai perdue ma bague). Je ne sens encore nue. I don't feel naked anymore. It was terrible to look down at my hand and see my right ring finger instead of a large black ring.

I've had trouble deciding what to wear lately. With the onslaught of snow and rain (it's attacking me!) it took me over an hour last Saturday before I finally decided to just go ahead and do the awful, lazy, ski bunny, trendy, "I spend too much money on tasteless clothes" look of tucking my sweatpants into my boots. Thankfully my sweatpants were not Victoria Secret or Juicy Couture. I hate looking like a name brand. I wouldn't even do that for Balenciaga no matter how much I love you Nicolas Ghesquière. Nor was there fur or fake lamb's wool anywhere on my boots. I even put my voodoo love chain on to feel a little better about myself.

The chain is really an odd piece of necklace passed down to me from my Aunt Milly. I have one distinct memory of her. I was très jeune and she was baby sitting ma soeur et moi. I was eating fries from McDonald's watching the news with her. McDonald's! What a treat! And the news! World affairs! Vistas never seen before! Important events! Aunt Milly is magical! She had fantastic dresses fit for real parties not church potlucks and she let ma soeur and I dress-up in them. She had feather dusters (how romantic, a feather duster instead of an old rag!). She worked in the White House as a secretary. She'd been places. Her shoes weren't from Payless, they came in beautiful boxes. I was too young, but I bet she even had hat boxes. Hat boxes! She would dip pretzels in white chocolate and sprinkles in her little bungalo kitchen and lay them on waxed paper. I've got a dream of Aunt Milly's life. She must have seen great things, had lunch at the Smithsonian everyday, been to cocktail parties, typed on a typewriter. There must have been unrequited love, foreigners, three piece matching dress suits made out of wool.

I thought it was magical to live in a little brick bungalo all by yourself.

Hat Boxes! Imagine!

1 comment:

  1. so why don't you make like Aunt Milly and get outta here already. There are places in the world that still sell shoes in boxes you know.

    Al atack!!!

    ReplyDelete