07 December 2007

I tried to face Sleepy Hollow but we were out of butter

Last night I went to a festival of ten minute plays put on by the local playwrights I chill with upon a few Wednesdays. They're hurrayed for a celebration because they've finally got a venue with a stage maintenant (now. pronounced....well say it six times fast and you'll be close). I was a little sad for the days when we met in an upper room of the public library and sat on quilts as they performed...but we all grow old and professional in the end.
I went by myself which means I went on foot in the pouring rain. By pouring rain I mean I crossed a few motes and hopped over a lake or two.Oh, fine, I can dress for weather, but for reasons other than what fit in this story I wore high heals. And sometimes I couldn't see the lake to hop over it.

Dear Vera,
I'm sorry, I'm much too wander-lusted, dirt under fingernails type of person. It took me a moment to realize my feet were splashing around in the puddles of water that had formed INSIDE my shoes. Your design took quite an adventure last night. But genius girl, they held up.

Love me anyway,
Marge

I was running late. Since it's a small troupe I run the risk of arriving with no one to sell me a ticket and let me in at the gate. Oh please, oh please, you know me! I tried to telepath to my troupers since they weren't answering their cell phones. I ran into one piece of luck, a boy with an androgynous voice warned me I should ford out onto the street since the corner up ahead had become Lake Como. I made my way across the muddy grass, stepped over the mote and onto the street...but I left a shoe behind stuck in that muddy grass. Oh @#$%^&*. Symbols and numbers, just like that, started scrambling around in my head and for less than a split second I seriously considered what I'd been tossing around for the last few blocks. I took my shoes in hand and ran barefoot. Barefoot five blocks, thinking HOW NUTS if someone does this at home we amputate feet (C'mere Earl and bring us the ax). Oui, barefoot five blocks evading one car full of boys who started to roll down their windows.

And quelle chance! I didn't miss a bit of show.

1 comment:

  1. I wore my new white boots in the snow and stepped in all the snow piles I could on purpose to get them sopping wet so they would stretch out. But unfortunately they were too good for that. I had the reverse of you and thought; oh @#$@.....these are too waterproof.

    ReplyDelete