04 September 2008

well you asked for spice. but that's an herb.

Well.
Monstro Uno and I conducted some scientific research today. We have solid proof that lack of sleep somehow inhibits your hearing ability or maybe it's the synapses that bring the sound to your brain.
Monstro Uno is still not satisfied with our findings that not listening means that something is taken away.
"You're not going to listen? Ok, I'll just carry your bike in the air in one hand and push your brother's stroller with the other. That's fine." (Luckily that only lasted five steps before we all started listening again.)
But you know, I have to say, I was at a loss as to what to do with a child who was upset with everything ("I can't eat [the pear] cut that way, what if it falls apart?!" "Don't put tape on it!...How are we going to keep it [paper boat] from falling apart?..Nooooo not tape!"). Do I make him take a nap? Not possible. So I sat down in the kitchen and started reading about a woman who had this constant feeling as though she were falling. Even after she hit the floor she felt like the floor would open up underneath her and that she was still falling. A couple of minutes later, my dear Monstro Uno asked for a popcicle.
Yes.
Yes, have a popcicle even though no toys have been put away. By you.
Yes, please. I don't want to argue or fight with you.
And that popcicle made all the difference.

My first assignment for my dear little documentary class is to write about five little things that normally no one notices. We must be ever watching! Always! Be aware! As my last documentary professor instilled in us the mantra, be wildly interested.
Wild.
At one point this evening I was walking my bike down this busy street. I'd noticed a man hesitate to see if a woman needed help with her fallen groceries, a shameful amount of litter and this boy's black socks. Then three boys (men? age generalizations are so difficult) sitting on a tailgait of a truck in the Burger King parking lot called out to me. I thought, odd, but why not.
"Can I help you?" I asked.
They wanted to know why I was walking not riding. And they wanted to know my name. And they wanted to know all about me.
They told me they were "hicking." Ten points if I could guess what hicking was.
"Well, I'm guessing hicking is tailgaiting in parking lots."
I won the ten points.
They inspected my groceries, told me I was cute, talked about Curious George, asked me to put them in a movie, offered me strawberry milk shakes and said I should hang out with them.
Acutally I should clarify, they didn't really just say I was cute. One kid/man said, "I was feeling really talkative earlier but now I'm kind of not sure of what to say. I mean you see a cute girl walking past and so you start talking to her and then you realize that she's not just a cute girl but that she's maybe a little weird (thanks for your honesty) and impressive. There's something to her." (He was impressed I had peas and tomatos in my grocerey bag).
Hmmm.....
Wild?
Interesting?

Odd.


Melodica that.

2 comments:

  1. It would have been REALLY wild if you would have planted a big wet kiss on one, or both, of them. And then just walked away.

    Next time.

    ReplyDelete